Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my gf has been sick all morning and has stomach pain, she said

my gf has been sick all morning and has stomach pain, she said its like being stabbed, she also suffers with bulimia what should i do
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The first issue is whether she should be seen emergently, and the primary determination is the severity of the symptoms. If she is having severe abdominal pain or is having severe, persistent nausea and vomiting, then she should be seen. There are several conditions that can cause abdominal pain that require emergency attention, and the primary indication is severe abdominal pain, although any severe symptoms also should prompt attention.

If the symptoms are not severe, then it would be OK to try some home interventions. In this setting, it is more likely that it is from a viral infection, so may resolve spontaneously with supportive care and symptomatic relief. It would be OK to use paracetamol for relief of pain. It also may help to use a medicine for nausea, such as Phenergan (promethazine), Dramamine (meclizine), or Benadryl (diphenhydramine). Of these medicines, the Phenergan is probably better at relieving nausea and vomiting for most people, but more people may already have Benadryl or Dramamine in their medicine cabinet. It also would be appropriate to be drinking clear liquids, and this is better tolerated by the stomach and may help the stomach settle.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.