Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have developed shingles around the eyes now and I dont k

I have developed shingles around the eyes now and I don't k now what to do about it. Ive had on other parts of my face but this is right up to my eyelids now
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

If you have developed shingles affecting the eye, then you need to be seen quickly by an Ophthalmologist. Although the primary treatment of shingles affecting the eye is similar to other episodes of shingles - with oral anti-viral medicines, there also needs to be an assessment of the level of inflammation of the eye and may need specific treatment for the eye. There are eye drops of the antiviral medicines, and if the inflammation is more severe, then there may need to be steroid eye drops used to ease the inflammation.

If you can get in directly to see an Ophthalmologist quickly, then that would be fine, but in most cases, it is more efficient to be seen quickly by a primary care doctor or emergency room, which can arrange for consultation with an Ophthalmologist.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would you suggest I go today. Will this affect my future eyesight

Yes, you should be seen today. If the infection is assessed and treated quickly, then the eyesight will typically do well. However, if the infection continues without proper treatment, then it is possible that it could adversely affect eyesight. That is why I said that you need to be seen quickly, and if not able to be seen in the office quickly, in an emergency room.