Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi there, for about 4 months now I have been bothered with

Customer Question

Hi there, for about 4 months now I have been bothered with a uti and small stones in the urine which my doctor discovered in a urine analysis test. I was put on antibiotics which didn't make any difference so I have been trying to cure it myself. However I woke up this morning with the usual pain of a full bladder and went to the loo had blood in my urine. However since this happened I am completely pain free which I have not been for months. Is this maybe because I managed to pass a stone that was lodged somewhere in the urinary tract
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, it is very likely that the sudden improvement in symptoms is related to the passage of a stone. It is common that there is some blood in the urine with the passage of a stone.

It certainly is possible to have blood in the urine with an infection, but it would typically not have sudden improvement in symptoms such as you have experienced.

If you continue to do well with no further pain or bleeding, then there is no need to pursue evaluation.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am still passing blood in my urine but it is getting less and less, but the pain I have had over the past 4 months has now just gone , no pain in the groin or lower abdomen but there is still a little trace of infection as I used a combur 9 stick to test the urine. Will this resolve on its own now or will I need to go on antibiotics

It is certainly possible that the bleeding is due to both a stone and an infection. It would usually need an antibiotic to completely clear the infection. There are some people in whom the body's immune system is able to clear a UTI, but it will typically require antibiotics.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much doctor

You're welcome. I hope that everything goes well.