Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have an intense ticklish pain in my ankle that occurs every

I have an intense ticklish pain in my ankle that occurs every 35 seconds and lasts 1 to 2 seconds duration. I have had this since yesterday evening. Doi you have any idea what's going on and what I can do about it?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you are having these symptoms.

Dr. David :

they sound most likely to be a pinched nerve in the ankle

Dr. David :

when nerves are damaged or pinched they can send abnormal signals to the brain and the brain tries to interpret them as best as it can.

Dr. David :

sometimes these abnormal signals can be interpreted as burning or numbness or fiery pain or itchiness

Dr. David :

we call these odd sensations parasthesias.

Dr. David :

nerve pressure could be coming from increased swelling in the ankles or a sprain in the ankles.

Dr. David :

at your age, a blood clot in the foot or ankle causing these symptoms would be less likely.

Dr. David :

are your symptoms getting worse or better?

Dr. David :

do you notice them more at night or during the day?

Dr. David :

are you up and walking around normally?

Customer: The symptoms aren't getting worse or better. They aren't worse at night or during the day.
Customer: I am up and walking around normally. It's not getting worse or better. It's not worse or better at night. What can I do to stop it?
Dr. David :

you can try using some ice on your ankle to decrease swelling inside of the ankle.

Dr. David :

you can try doing some ankle stretching exercises to increase flexibility and see if that helps.

Dr. David :

if these measures don't help, you might need to see a doctor and get an xray of the ankle or MRI scan of the ankle to check the bones and nerves there.

Customer: I