DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

my daughter is 11 and was diagnosed with femoral anteversion

Customer Question

my daughter is 11 and was diagnosed with femoral anteversion in both legs, we have been told she will need surgery to correct this, can you please explain to me what is involved in this procedure and what sort of risks are connected with it, how long will the recovery period take? One leg (right) is more severly turned in than the other
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

Unless I am missing something, you have not stated what degree [percenatage] of anteversion she has

Do you know this figure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't but i have been told by a orthopaedic surgeon that her case is severe, she has an appointment to see a surgeon in cork at the end of may, when she went for her last check up at the age of 9 the surgeon told me she would need surgery to fix her legs unless her hips rotated out at puberty, this has not happend and she is now at puberty

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
So the surgery is where the sugeon cuts the femor, rotates it into the correct postion and fixes it there in a more correct anatomic position.
Hospital stay is a few days.
Then limited weight bering, using crutches for a few weeks.
Then physical therapy is important.
Full activities in 3 to 4 months.
Surgery is quite safe, and kids heal quickly.

Normal surgical risks are always present, bleeding and infection mainly.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it common to use an epidural as pain relief after surgery i read this on the internet last night and just want to know if it's true and what level of pain will she be in post op? will they put her under general anesthetic or epidural for the surgery itself? which is the usual option, do you know roughly the sucess rate of this procedure?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.

It is most likely it would be general anesthesia.
No an epidural is not all that commonly needed after surgery.
she will get pain medications to keep pain at bay, which is probably the main reason to stay in the hospital for a day or so....from morphine pump to other methods.

She will be pretty much pain free by the time she leaves, or after the first day.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome anytime
any qeustions
please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.