DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

hi..am 44 years professional male and some times i feel i have

Customer Question

hi..am 44 years professional male and some times i feel i have a mild case of depression. for that i sometimes take a minimum dose of xanax. a friend recommended out of his experience that i take the anti depression drug cipralex, what do you advise ? P.S i have had for many years a problem sleeping and now am comfortable taking one Panadolnite tablet nightly.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

Good questions.

I recommend that you do nothing that your doctor does not prescribe.

xanax is not indicated for depression and in the long term will make it worse.

Cipralex is good for depression, and needs to be done under a doctors supervision.

I don't see a lot of problem with the panadolnite, but simple benadrly would do as well for sleep, without the acetaminophen.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

dear dr., you are the expert thats why am asking you shall i stop the xanax and replace it with cepralex ? what additional information you need to complete your diagnosis and give me an answer ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
First of all, we do not replace your doctor on this site. It is a question and answer site.
We do not diagnose on the site. That requires an exam in person.

Xanax is not indicated for depression, but you should not just stop it, it has to be tapered under your doctor supervision.

If your doctor runs depression scales and finds you to be depressed, he/she can start cipralex.

There are many SSRI drugs like cipralex, and a doctor that knows you and has examined you has to chose the one best for you.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Are you able to see the answer
Can you click a smiley face [or we are not paid].
More qeustions? Just let me know.