How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Sohaib Your Own Question
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4709
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Sohaib is online now

very itchy vagina and sore

Customer Question

very itchy vagina and sore
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Since how long?

Do you have fever?

Is there any associated itching?

Are there any ulcers/discharge?

History of Sexually Transmitted Diseases?

Any treatment taken so far?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Got very serious yesterday


No fever


very sore possible ulcers


No history of sexually transmitted disease


no treatment

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information dear Fola.

This is a condition called as "Vulvitis" or "Vulvovaginitis".

This is most commonly cause by yeast (fungal) infections of the vaginal area, and there are many over the counter anti fungal creams available which you can use to help this situation. Moreover, you can also use benadryal (diphenhydramine) available over the counter to control the itching.

Sometimes, the bacterial infections and allergies can also be responsible for this, and for that a round of appropriate antibiotics is required (which are prescription medications).

You can try a topical anti fungal cream like clotrimazole (you can ask your pharmacist for this) as well and Benadryl (oral) for the time being.

Avoid tight fitting and nylon garments which can irritate the area.

Keep the affected area dry and well ventilated.

Avoid shampoo, perfumes, wet wipes over the affected area, and use hypo-allergic baby soap for washing.

See how you respond to these measures in next few days.

However, if this persists, does not improve or gets worse, you need to go see your gynaecologist soon for a clinical examination and to get a specific and targeted management plan initiated.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.
Dear Fola,
I am here for a follow up.
How do you feel now?
Is there anything else on which i can assist you? Do let me know.