Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

Hi. Four days ago, my son shut the car boot by mistake while

Customer Question

Hi. Four days ago, my son shut the car boot by mistake while I was getting something out and it hit me on the top of the head! I literally saw stars! My husband sat me down with a cold pack on my head and gave me a drink of water. I didn't lose consciousness but had a niggly headache for the rest of the day. I didn't have a bump as such but my scalp is very tender and feels bruised. I have been aware of head pain over the last few days. My head is still tender to touch and aches especially if I am running around. I haven't had any nausea or vision problems or forgetfulness or unsteadiness! In fact, I was gardening all day yesterday.
I suffer a lot with left sided headaches and neck pain and have tinnitus in my left ear. It has been investigated over the years and has found nothing. I am due to have asinus scan soon. The problem is that I have these type of headaches now too, my neack muscles are very tight and the tinnitus is bad. Together with this I also have the pain from hitting my head and I am worrying that I might have done some serious damage. I have read that people can become ill weeks or months after a head trauma. I am an anxious person and don't know what to do for the best.
I would really appreciate your thoughts
Kind regards, Jo
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer

Did yo go to the hospital?

Were you examined by a doctor? were any investigations done?

Do you think that the headaches have worsened?

Are you diagnosed with any medical conditions? if yes what medications do you take for them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I didn't go to the doctor when I hit my head.

I have been investigated for ear problems in the past because of the tinnitus and have had physio for my neck pain which relieved the headaches. I have had headaches on and off for 20 years! I have recently been given migraine medication although I haven't taken any. I am due a sinus scan.

My immediate concern is about the affects of hitting my head on Saturday. I did not lose consciousness and have no neurological problems apart from head pain

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information and for your patience :)

Could you please clarify whether the intensity or frequency of headaches has changed in any way after the incident?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I get headaches a lot anyway so it is hard to tell. My neck is also very sore.

My head feels bruised to the touch and aches there slightly if I bend over. I was fine for a few days but in pain generally today

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for cooperating further :)

The symptoms that are worrisome after a head injury are loss of consciousness be it for a small while, bleeding from ear, nose or mouth, headaches, nausea, vomiting or other neurological signs.

However you have not had any of them till now.

The only symptom of headache has also not changed in intensity or frequency (you have not felt any significant change).

The tenderness/pain can be due to soft tissue injury or a fracture.

So the best plan of action at this place in time would be to see your doctor and be examined. X Ray skull is the investigation that should have been done as the least thing and would be most helpful at this stage for ruing out any fracture or give some idea about chronic sub-dural hematoma.

Hope This was helpful :)

Please let me know if you need further clarification. If satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (preferably number 5 please)

Warm regards
Dr MASK