Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am 55 year old male. Was born with an enlarged liver (how

Customer Question

I am 55 year old male. Was born with an enlarged liver (how they knew it in 1958 is unbelievable). I have abused my liver with tablets and alcohol in the past, but do not think I have cirroses yet. I am taking the following tablets daily and have a constand pain on my liver. Is any of these tablets causing the pain? Morning 06h00 Omez (gastric) and Gluconorm (sugar) 1000 mg. After breakfast I take Co-Pritor (blood pressure) 80mg, Bilicor 5 mg (blood pressure), CymGen 60mg (depression) and Puricos 300 mg (acid in body) also 1 tablet multi vitamin and 1 tablet Vitamin E 1000 mg. In the evenings I take Faverin 50mg (depression), Atorvastin 40 mg (cholesterol), Gluconorm (sugar) 1000 mg and Seroqual and Adco Alzaam to sleep and milk thistle for the liver. Thank you Docters George XXXXXXX South Africa

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
thanks for this excellent question

I appreciate you allowing me to help you

The medication you are taking for cholesterol co-Pritor could be causing liver problems

If your liver function is abnormal, I recommend consideration of stopping this drug
I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Co- Pritor is not a cholesterol tablet, but a blood pressure tablet. I take Atorvastatin 40 mg for cholesterol.

Please advise

I apologize greatly for that

Its the atorvastatin that is doing it

Its well known to do that
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you kindly. Is there an alternative tablet that I can use or even any other method to decrease cholesterol - homeopathic, herbal, life style ect.

We now know George that reducing cholesterol is not as important as reducing fat and sugar

Low sugar low saturated fat diet is key. Along with Mediterranean diet principles

I recommend regular cardiovascular exercise and the Mediterranean diet
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my work. However, my main goal is your 100% satisfaction. If you are satisfied, please rate positively. If not, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.