Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a knee replacement in 2006, having pain and swelling

Customer Question

I had a knee replacement in 2006, having pain and swelling is there a reason for this, having seen a surgeon no solution has been found.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--how long has the pain and swelling been going on and have you had any recent studies of the knee? Any problems with any other joints?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A short while after replacement. No studies have applied to my knee only that it can be replaced agan if I wish, all other joints are fine.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--so you haven't had an MRI of the knee since the replacement? What has the surgeon told you about the problem besides offering to replace the prosthesis?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told an MRI would possibly remove the scews,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--so I assume you didn't have a ct scan either? But what has the surgeon said about the problem itself and have you had any physical therapy for this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No CT scan and no physical therapy.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--and we can continue after this if you need more information but I am surprised that your surgeon seems to have done nothing here but suggest another replacement. At least a plain set of x-rays could look at the replacement itself to see if there is a problem with the prosthesis like loosening of the tibial or femoral components. But it's possible that the problem is not in the replacement itself but that this is a chronic bursitis or tendonosis. I would get the ct scan of the knee and have you see a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized treatment program to strengthen the leg muscles stabilizing the knee and to relieve the pain and swelling before would consider further surgery