Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I have had Genu Valgum all my life and I am now 19. Ive

Customer Question

Hi, I have had Genu Valgum all my life and I am now 19. I've suffered with excruciating pain for the last 7 years, I have tried physiotherapy and pain killers have never seemed to do anything. I am now at a point where I can't even stand up and the pain is worsening as time goes by. Doctors refuse to give me an osteotomy surgery due to the fact that they think I'm too young and that the surgery isn't all that successful. I am now at a stage where I dont care anymore and I wish to have the leg amputated. Would this be possible if I asked for it?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

The doctors will typically not perform an amputation for pain associated with a genu valgum deformity. Generally speaking, if surgery is contemplated, they would prefer to try leg conserving approaches, even at a younger age, rather than resorting to amputation.

It is also true that they will typically try conservative treatment before considering surgery, but once all conservative treatments have been tried without success and surgery is contemplated, leg conserving surgery would be preferred over amputation surgery.

There are a couple of specialists that may be helpful, if you have not already been seen by them. It may help to be seen by a Physiatrist, a specialist in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Also, if you have not yet seen a Pain Management specialist, that would also be appropriate.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would they perform an amputation if all else fails?

I have never seen or heard of a case that has been that bad and failed all other approaches to treatment, but it might be considered as a last ditch option if all other interventions have failed.