alex-cssm
alex-cssm,
51869216

I have been off work with anxiety and depression since November.

Customer Question

I have been off work with anxiety and depression since November. I am being made redundant in May and moving out of London for an easier life in Northampton.I have been offered a temp job in Northampton but my confidence is so low I don't know if i can cope with it. Do i give it a go or not?

I was diagnosed with GAD and depression in 1999.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
I will be glad to help you with this and I have treated this problem for years.

You have not mentioned how your condition is being treated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am on mirtazapine 30mg a day.I came off Cipralex in feb after 10 years on it.The doc said it was no longer working?The mirtazapine seems a lot weaker imo but he says its better for anxiety.It has made me lazy not wanting to do anything.My main worry at the moment is my stress tolerance levels.

I visited US to see Amen Clinics who gave me Neurontin to help with sleep and anxiety. I am currently battling with my GP to let me have Neurontin going onward as it calms my overactive brain.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
Makes sense
So what is your exact question at this point?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Number one I am not sure if the mirtazapine is working or if I need it?Thats one for my GP I assume but number two for you is I am unsure how much stress I can tolerate with the new job?My brain is overactive just thinking about it.

Do I need to see a psychiatrist/GP to see if I am fit enough to work or do I give it a go and if I struggle put my hands up and admit defeat/ go on disability?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Yes a specialist is preferred.
First of all there are many medications.

You should be able to have maximal effectiveness with minimal side effects.

In addition a therapist would be useful.

Cognitive behavioral therapy can give you a means to help address this on your own eventually.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately in the UK if you have anxiety or depression you get looked after by your amily doc only with repeat prescriptions.

In US you get to see a a psychiatrist monthly and given valium/Xanax etc to help with anxiety.In UK they give ssris only.

Thanks for your help so to make clear I need to see a private psychiatrist and CBT to help with returning to work.

Paul

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is correct.

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.
Expert:  alex-cssm replied 4 years ago.

We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. Here is the link to your question page for your reference:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/7rer8-off-work-anxiety-depression-november.html

Please make sure you're logged in with your JustAnswer account before you access the link.

Thank you, The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.