Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have anal fissure. Been taking fibogel three times day for

Customer Question

I have anal fissure. Been taking fibogel three times day for the last eight weeks, but I'm not any better. Is their an operation I can have. Its driving me mad its painful. I have them almost a year now
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

In answer to your direct question, yes, there are surgeries that can be used for management of chronic anal fissures. The primary surgeries are forms of a sphincterotomy, in which a portion of the anal sphincter is cut to release the pressure on the anal canal that is contributing to the anal fissure.

However, there are also some other options to consider, if not already tried, prior to considering surgery. The primary treatment for anal fissures are interventions to manage stool consistency, including fiber supplements or laxative, stool softeners, drinking plenty of water, and may also need consideration of any chronic medicines that may be contributing to chronic constipation.

There also are some medicines that can be applied locally to the anus, such as nitroglycerin or nifedipine ointments, which can help relax the anal sphincter. There also has been some success with the use of injections of Botox.

However, if a person does not respond to these less invasive interventions, then it would be appropriate to see a General Surgeon or a Proctologist for consideration of a sphincterotomy.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.