Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Urinary urgency/incontinence. Have hear of the surgical procedure

Customer Question

Urinary urgency/incontinence. Have hear of the surgical procedure "the net". What is it, and how effective is it?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

I believe you are referring to a sling procedure that is done with mesh to suspend the bladder. It is very important that you first receive a consultation with a urologist to determine that an anatomic problem is causing the incontinence. I note that you have urgency so a sling procedure may not even help.

Tension free slings are done using synthetic mesh, the tissue itself holds the sling in place. Scar tissue forms and keeps the mesh from moving. Serious complications can occur, but are rare, and include chronic pain, bleeding, infection and erosion of tissues from the sling.

Initial effectiveness varies widely among surgeons and can be 80 to over 90% with long term success as low as 60%. Some surgeons report long term success of 90% or more.

Your next best step is to see a urologist. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Very thorough answer and much appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello Nell. You are welcome. If you are satisfied, please click on a rating so that I may receive credit. Thanks Dr K