Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have been suffering with a bad back including muscle spasms

Customer Question

I have been suffering with a bad back including muscle spasms for about 18 months now. Having a bad day today I have taken all medication including trauma doll, diazepam and oramorph, but the pain is not subsiding and I'm a bit worried as it is all on the left hand side and going from my back round to my ribs , any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to cause a fuss un necessarily. Thank you Debbie
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. Does this pain feel the same as your usual back pain or different?

JACUSTOMER-mgs29oez- : Different it seems to be travelling from around my back to my front just below my rib cage.
Doctor-Bob :

Is there any rash in the overlying skin of the back, side or front?

JACUSTOMER-mgs29oez- : No rash at all, no. My main concern is that after taking my medication all pain subsides with in half an hour and that is not happening plus I am starting to feel sick.
Doctor-Bob :

You might have a kidney stone. This can cause wrap around pain from back to front and is often associated with nausea. While most stones pass with vigorous hydration, you should seriously consider going in to a local clinic to be evaluated. They can look for stones (or other possible causes) with x-ray, ultrasound or CT.

JACUSTOMER-mgs29oez- : I have recently had x rays and an MRI scan trying to solve my back pain would these have showed up kidney stones?
Doctor-Bob :

Not if you just recently formed the stone. They do tend to travel down the ureter with lots of fluids. When they do the pain often moves down as well, sometimes into the abdomen or groin. Occasionally there is tinting of the urine pink from blood. The pain can be extreme! and require intravenous pain killers to control.

JACUSTOMER-mgs29oez- : So am I to grin and bear it for tonight and get to my gap as soon as possible?
Doctor-Bob :

tank up on fluids, take whatever pain meds you have according to the prescription, and try to get in as soon as possible, even if it means going into urgent care or the ER...if for no other reason than pain control, which can be considered an emergency.

JACUSTOMER-mgs29oez- : Ok thanks for the advice and being there in the middle of the night when I felt alone and a bit frightened, thought I was having a heart attack so thanks again
Doctor-Bob :

You're welcome. I hope you get the care you need soon, and start feeling better.

Doctor-Bob :

Are you still there?

Doctor-Bob :

Did you have any follow up questions?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hi Debbie. I did not hear back from you. How's your pain today? Any improvement? Did you go in for an evaluation? Please let me know if you still need help and I would be happy to assist you further.
...
If you have no more questions, a positive rating would be much appreciated.
...
Regards,
Doctor-Bob