Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

i have sickness and diarrhoea since wednesday afternoon the

Customer Question

i have sickness and diarrhoea since wednesday afternoon the sicness has now disappeared but still have bad diarrhoea. can i take anything to stop the diarrhoea?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.
This is likely to be an episode of viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu).

Treatment for this is mainly supportive:

Rest.
Plenty of fluids- you should take water, fruit juices, electrolyte fluids like Gatorade..
Bland diet: the BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended.
Small meals.

For the diarrhea, you can take the following OTC medicines:

Loperamide (one brand name: Imodium): This is for diarrhoea if it is severe. the dosage is 2 caplets after the first loose stool, then 1 caplet after each loose stool that follows. Take no more than 4 caplets or 8 teaspoonfuls in 24 hours

You will need to report to the doctor if your diarrhea is so severe you get dehydrated, or you pass blood in vomit or stools. Viral gastroenteritis usually resolves spontaneously. You will also need to see your doctor if it persists for more than 5 days.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.