Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

How can I request a full medical report of a hospitalization

Customer Question

How can I request a full medical report of a hospitalization in an Irish hospital?
under the FOI Act
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 4 years ago.

Doctor Cameron :

Doctor Cameron :

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act in Ireland provides for, among other things, individual right of access to personal records held by the public bodies- Medical records considered to be personal records. The FOI Act applies to the Health Service Executive (HSE) and to voluntary hospitals as well as to a number of health agencies. As well, it applies to records held by GPs in relation to patients who are medical card holders. Please note that it does not apply to private hospitals nor does not apply to the records of private patients.

If you want to access records under the FOI Act, you should apply to the public body that holds them (the Health Service Executive (HSE) is considered to hold the records of medical card holders).

Doctor Cameron :

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/legal_matters_and_health/access_to_medical_records.html#l178f8

JACUSTOMER-i3ku30hb- :

Does also psychiatrists fall into the FOI act? can I request a full medical report for symptoms, diagnosis, treatment during 3 years by psychiatrist? thanks

JACUSTOMER-i3ku30hb- :

should I request the medical report by email or by registered post?

Doctor Cameron :

Yes, you can- it is for all physicians

Doctor Cameron :

I would send a request by registered post- it is official and has time stamp on it (no pun- ha! ha!0

JACUSTOMER-i3ku30hb- :

Thank you, do you know if there is a specified time in weeks-time after my request receipt by the psychiatrist, by which I should receive the report...like 3-4 weeks, and s. o.

Doctor Cameron :

It usually takes about 2-4 weeks

Doctor Cameron :

Did I provide you with excellent service?