Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Is it true that in order to treat MDD it is necessary to increase/

Customer Question

Is it true that in order to treat MDD it is necessary to increase/ unblock serotonine and dopamine?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Every antidepressant marketed increases either serotonin and/or norepinephrine to some degree. Some change the levels of dopamine as well,but this is secondary.

It is necessary to change the levels of of serotonin in the brain to treat depression. There are a few antidepressants that change norepinephrine levels.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it possible that blocked / reduced serotonin in the brain for a long time by antipsychotics cause nausea and vomiting?

(please, you can take your time to find this)

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
No that is not a side effect. It may be a withdrawal symptom. Olanzapine for example is used to treat severe and refractory nausea and vomiting in chemotherapy patients.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you know anything about seroquel or clozaril?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Of course I do. You asked me exactly the same question earlier. Neither of these has that side effect. It could be a short term withdrawal symptom but not 6 months after the fact. :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last thing:

- individual had MDD (and was taking only seroquel as medicine)

- MDD led to vomiting for 16 days (no food intake, only liquid by drip)

- Hospitalization (seroquel maybe stopped)

- Out of hospital (seroquel prescribed again)

- After 7 days the vomiting started again.

- In another country the hospital's doctor told not to take that medicine anymore

- After few days the individual totally recovered both from vomiting and from MDD (by taking no medicine)

Individual had MDD for 3 years, which continually worsened (and it was treated ONLY WITH OLANZAPINE, CLOZARIL AND SEROQUEL)

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Seroquel had nothing to do with it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not Seroquel directly, of course. But if vomiting is caused by MDD, MDD is treated by increasing serotonin, it appears logical a serotonin-lowering medicine was not the most approrpiate..

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
No, thats an incorrect thought process. Your question was open for an entire day. No other Dr would even answer it. I think I have given you excellent service for a very low price. Best of luck to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Anyway, other real doctors had immediately said antipsychotics serotonin-lowering are not appropriate for deseases, which need to increase serotonin.

I understand that if you do not provide a logical justification for your assertion, that means there is no objection. I dont know how long questions may be, me too I have to wait 2 days for docs answering chats.

I dont decide your rate of pay neither the site's conditions, so you should not complain with a client, ahah!

On this occasion I cannot provide you with positive feedback, as

- you complain with clients for your manager's decisions

- you do not provide any explanation supporting the logic under your assertions

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
That is certainly your decision. I have provided you a good medical answer when no other Dr would take the question.