Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

it is very painful for me to turn over at night. my whole buttock

Customer Question

it is very painful for me to turn over at night. my whole buttock area feels like one lump and sort of has to be lifted and turned together then if o go too far i get an agonising sharp pain on my left lower buttock and thigh. a pillow under my lower back gives a little relief. this only occurs in bed at night. in the daytime i get a strong ache in my bones through my entire body when carrying weights, i.e. shopping or even just standing still. i am in the process of purchasing a new mattress so could you also advise between a foam memory type or a sprung mattress? regards. d. warren
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

I was trying to chat live with you on this.

Your symptoms are suggestive of a lumbar disc lesion. This can be due to degenerated disc or herniated disc.

This can cause pressure on the nerves in this region which can explain your symptoms like pain in the buttocks, heaviness, etc.

You need to see your doctor for this. Ask about lumbar disc lesion. Tests like CT or MRI of the spine is needed for this - ask your doctor about this. Exercise, injections to the spine and pain killers like narcotic analgesics are needed for this.

Among the two, a foam memory mattress will be better.

But changing the mattress is not enough.

Do go to the doctor and discuss about lumbar disc lesion, and ask about doing a CT/MRI of the spine.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.