DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

i am 73 years of age ; about a month ago i fell and sustained

Customer Question

i am 73 years of age ; about a month ago i fell and sustained what was diagnosed as a ruptured quadriceps tendon; surgical tx was recommended and carried out by an ortho paedic surgeon; he thinks that he did a " great repair job" and i will be "ok in time"; the incision has healed nicely (at least externally) but the general area around knee is still swollen and very tight (stiff); i have been wearing a brace for the past week and a half which is supposed to be re-adjusted every 2 weeks at least for 1 and a half months by a physio therapist who has also prescribed quadriceps strengthening and knee bending exercises; the p/t wants me to try for 50 -60 degrees bending but this is impossible given the tightness of the general area; with extreme effort i can barely get around 120 degrees bending. Any thoughts on my chances for recovery based on your experience with similar cases ?; i would be happy to achieve and settle for 90 degree knee bending without discomfort as my work (i'm a dentist) entails sitting most of the time. thanks for you patience.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
Chances should be exellent,

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine, so I can cover about any question you might have, as well as your follow up questions. Use reply to expert at any time you need to.

But physical therapy might need to continue for 6 months or longer.

What stands out in your story is no follow up MRI of the area in question.

This would not only show if the surgery was great, but if there is an undiagnosed problem with the knee. X ray is not adequate to show this.

I would not want to miss a knee problem being attributed to surgery.

This is why I like a specialist MD in charge at this point, a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor.

There is physical therapy, then there is a well designed manual medicine rehab program which most surgeons are not trained to do, but the PM&R doctor is.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.