Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

excessively runny nose all day & overspill from eyes usually

Customer Question

excessively runny nose all day & overspill from eyes usually in the morning.Eyes very sensitive to sun/wind. tried various nasl sprays no improvement
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

Since how long you have this?

Which nasal sprays you have used?

Any testing done, any specialist visited?

I am ear, nose and throat specialist and i can help you with this. Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

lasted as long as I can remember

tried over counter sprays & specialist referral just gave me different spray to try but made no difference. was not given follow up appt

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
Anne thanks a lot for your input. It will take like 10 to 15 minutes to type an answer for you. Thank you for your patience. Regards
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

Anne thanks a lot for waiting. I am sorry to hear about you problem. The problem you have is called allergic rhinitis. So far you have been given only the initial treatment and as you were never given a follow up appointment, i can imagine that you were never prescribed anything else besides the nasal sprays. Allergic rhinitis is hard to treat and patients need several follow up appointments sometime to adjust or change the medications. Since this is my speciality to deal this issue, I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations first thing you need is over the counter tab diphenhydramine, one tablet daily at night. It is an anti allergic tablet. You might have tried other anti allergic tablets but this one is superior in controlling symptoms but has a side effects that it causes a little sedation, so you can better take it at night. If little sedation is a big concern for you then OTC tab claritin once daily is good which has no sedation. Along with this you can use a home remedy which proves very beneficial in my patients. Take 250 ml of honey in a bottle, mix ginger extract and black pepper in it. Mix all of them and take one tea spoon twice daily of this solution. It takes like two weeks to months to start acting but it's very effective remedy. You should try to avoid the conditions by wearing glasses or mask in atmosphere where the condition worsens. Now as far as what your doctor can do is concerned, you need to see an allergist to get tested but instead of routine steroid nasal sprays you should ask your doctor for ketotifen tablets which are used as second line therapy for allergies. Moreover in some cases mast cell stabilizer sprays help (specially in cases of non allergic rhinitis) Once your allergy is under control, your eyes will feel better also because eyes get problem due to allergy. I wish that you get well soon. I have tried to include all aspects of your problem but please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.