DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi I could do with some help - I really dont want to go to

Customer Question

Hi I could do with some help - I really dont want to go to drs.
Long story short- I'm 51 & have been on fluoxetine for over 10 years, for post-natal depression then continued for severe PMT. Father died 4 years ago then 2 months later beloved Husband died. I have two boys then 17 & 14. I kept going-I have over the last four years got my kids through college and uni. Looked after my in-laws,( in their 90s) I started a business kept it for two years and it ended in disaster. Through this time my 20mg went up to 40mg per day. I have now decided to move, so has my( Mum 80 yrs) we currently live 5hrs away from each other. The house she will move from is my old family home – the house I got engaged, married etc
Because I haven’t worked since January I have found myself thinking about everything inc flash backs. I know that Ive got a lot of mental stuff going on and I feel I should be processing it. Here comes the crunch I can’t seem to do that. I feel absolutely exhausted mentally and physically. One day I’m not too bad the next I’m in bed all day. I feel as if I want to cry but unless I have an alcohol drink I cant. Fluoxetine has I know have this effect on me it seems to make me fizzle into no emotion. Im trying to get my act together but having real problems.

Do I cut down on fluoxetine?

I move in 6 weeks – I need to start packing a four bedroom house.
I have guilt, I’m moving further away from in-laws.
Son going to China for 4 weeks post finishing college 2 days before moving.
I have a few friends all very busy working and with their own problems
I have one sister older a real flake/alcoholic lives in Ireland
I have no one to help me and feel very lonely
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question.

I'm very sorry about all of this loss in your life. It sounds absolutely dreadful.

You are truly remarkable.

I need to gather more information in order to give you the best answer possible.

1)Do you have good emotinonal support?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I haven't. Normally I'm ok. I just try and get on with life and up to now i've kept really busy so I havent had time to get too emotional.

Thanks Melanie.

Have you considered seeing a counselor or therapist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i know longer want to continue
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
I have noticed your relist.

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine, so I can cover about any question you might have, as well as your follow up questions. Use reply to expert at any time you need to.

This is clearly a worsening of your depression at this point.
Your question was do you stop the fluoxetine.
Given the unsettling side effect, the idea would be to have your doctor change the medicine.
There are many in this class therefore there is no reason to put up with one that is not having a positive effect.
There are newer medications. Fluxetine is one of the oldest of this newer class of medications and there have been many revisions.

The idea here is to get back on your feet quickly as you have a lot going on.

Rather than talk to friends, learning coginitve behavioral therapy from a clinical psycholgoist/therapist will give you a self sustating method for dealing with feelings such as guilt.

Along with medication, this will have a more powerful effect in all liklihood that simply doing either.

I hope this answer is clear, but you might have more questions.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from ja
You realisted the question again but did not even view my answer above somehow, perhaps this is a glitch.

Here is the answer again.