DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi there - I have had 2 ops on my neck & one on the spine for

Customer Question

Hi there - I have had 2 ops on my neck & one on the spine for degenerative disc disease. I have 2 ceramics in my neck and titanium & screws in my back. I am still in massive pain in both cervical & lumbar regions and have now been told that there's nothing further that can be done. Both areas will 'fuse' naturally within the next 5 years. Using common sense, this would mean i would have no movement in neck or back - is this right? I'm scared.... and still suffering. I have been seeing a neurosurgeon the last 3 ops - should I go to an osteo surgeon as it sounds like the neuro guy has given up.... will I end up in a wheelchair as I will have such limited movement in both the entire neck and my back? Hope you can shed some light on what natural spinal fusion will throw at me...

Best
Shadi
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello form JA
I don't think this is what the doctor means.

Fusion of the vertabrae does not mean you end up in a wheel chair.

What i would do rather than see another surgeon at the moment is see a rehabilitation specialist.

This is a type of MD called a PM&R doctor.

A lot can be done to arrest any degeneration with manual medicine techniques.

I am positive though that the doctor was sayhing the spine will stabilize with time, not that you will be crippled.