DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Today i found one small white puss spot on my left tonsil and

Customer Question

Today i found one small white puss spot on my left tonsil and i pulled it out and it smelt bad and i could press it and it crumpled into pieces, i do not have any other white bits just a bit of a sore throat, do i need to see a dcotor or just gargle with salt water? this is first time i have had this. Please reply asap as not online for much longer. Thanks Alice Henry
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

Great question and it is good be concerned about pus on the tonsil.

Any time there is puss on the tonsil one must be concerned about strep.

Strep throat is usually severe pain but not always.

So, even though you might do OK on your own, you should have a rapid strep test which can be done on the doctors office in about 10 minutes.

If this is negative then ok, but if positive you should have a course of antibiotics.

I would never let this go unchecked, just to be safe.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, thanks for your advice , can it just be one bit of puss as i have read people get it and looks like cheese? thing is it is weekend now and doctor is closed, can i wait til tuesday as it is bank holiday also?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
I can be, but any urgent care can do this.

It is not likely strep, I will tell you that.

If it gets worse you should be seen.

And you should have the test to be sure.