Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hi, your honest opinion would be greatly appreciated , I am

Customer Question

Hi, your honest opinion would be greatly appreciated , I am 27 years old male and I am quite sporty and do not smoke and take te odd drink , on the 15th of April I had what I thought was a migraine the usual flashy lights I get and banging head , since that day I wake up every morning and think to myself is I away and right away I feel this dull constant ache generally above my right eye but this can quickly shift to my left eye and back again , every now and then it increases to a sharp stabbing pain that peaks and then goes down slowly, the strange thing is my symptoms have got no worse but no better exactly the same every day , it is a feelin of constant pressure along my forehead and when it leaves my forehead the pain is not in my neck but directly on the back of my head such a dull painful ache , I have absolutely no nasal congestion just a lot of post nasal drip, if I lye down and rest my head on a pillow or wear a hat the pain in the back of my head increases , I also have one swollen gland under my jaw right side , , I am just at my wits end as to what this is because it is not going away , your honest opinion would be appreciated
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you still get the flashes? Problems in speech?

Dr. Sohaib :

Nausea?

Dr. Sohaib :

Vomiting?

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : No I have no speech problems I haven't vomited in about 2 years and I only have the flashing any time I get a migraine which was 7 weeks ago
Dr. Sohaib :

So you have old problem with migraine attacks right?

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : On a scale of 1/10 I would say it is about 3/10 all the time with the odd burst that is more but not excruciating
JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : I only get te odd migraine say 3 times a year not much at all
Dr. Sohaib :
And this time you are worried because of the prolonged duration of the pain?
JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : Yes it is like someone switched it on all of a sudden and it has continued to now ,
Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for the useful information. Since it started with classical symptoms of migraine, i will still attribute the current pain to it. Such kind of pains do occur in other conditions as well such as meningitis, encephalitis etc, but this is associated with various other symptoms as well such as reduced cognition, fever and untreated this results in loss of consciousness, fits and even death. In your case, most likely this is continued migraine, or a Tension head ache (that occurs due to stress, sleep issues and anxiety).

Dr. Sohaib :

Also, i dont think this is related to your sinuses.

Dr. Sohaib :

At this point, its better to have this evaluated by your doctor for a comprehensive clinical examination.

Dr. Sohaib :

And you can use naproxen along with tylenol for pain control. Have rest and adequate sleep.

Dr. Sohaib :

Most likely this is going to improve soon, but in case if this does not, its imperative to get an evaluation soon.

Dr. Sohaib :

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

Dr. Sohaib :

Does it help? Any more questions/clarifications you have?

Dr. Sohaib :

Let me know i will be glad to assist.

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : My doctor has said he feels it is chronic sinusitis and gave me 2 weeks antibiotics that didn't help along with a nasal spray and centrizine and pseudo ephedrine , this has not helped , the only further information I can give is that it does feel very much like a pressure mainly located above my eyes and I have had constant ringing in my ears and I hear loud crack when I swallow , and this one swollen gland
Dr. Sohaib :

Okay. But you did mention that the pain is at back of your head also?

Dr. Sohaib :

There was no fever? No nasal discharge?

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : Yes it can move there also, at the time this started I had cold that has since cleared and left this , like right now my whole head feels heavy and this constant ache along my forehead close to my brow bone and also directly through to the back,
Dr. Sohaib :

Ok. Well it that case (if this started after a cold) this can be from the sinus inflammation, and If you have already started taking antibiotics then you have to complete the course. At this stage "wait and see" should be the plan while you continue with the antibiotics and pain management.

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : I have light head pretty much all the time when standing , this definitely feels like a pressure I get te of pop crack around ears and nose
Dr. Sohaib :

Steam inhalation will also be of great help right now.

Dr. Sohaib :

Okay. Honestly, the symptoms are little overlapping (infection/migraine/tension headache), and actually you are taking treatment for all of these already.

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : Ye I have been told this would help , I have done this from day 1 7 weeks ago after visiting doctor and I am just so bewildered as to why my symptoms haven't got better or worse just changing slightly
Dr. Sohaib :

You can wait further (while you continue with the treatment) for the response. This may take up a week or two even. But at any stage if you feel that you are not improving or symptoms are getting worse, see your doctor again for a re-evaluation. I believe that this will settle down soon.

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : I am guilty of worrying a lot about this , it's just there from the minute I wake up till I go to sleep ,
Dr. Sohaib :

Have rest, and drink lot of fluids (which help relieve the congestion and facilitate the drainage in the sinuses).

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : What would you suggest the constant tinnitus and cracking when I swallow is down to ? And also this swollen gland that has been up for 3 weeks not the whole time ? , I want to think tension aswell but then have these symptoms aswell
Dr. Sohaib :

Tinnitus is again related to infection, and so is the swollen gland. These symptoms usually take a longer duration to settle down completely. For example you may experience tinnitus for another week or so. And similarly the gland will get back to normal size in 4-6 weeks.

Dr. Sohaib :

Wen your ear tube is inflammed, it gives you cracking sounds whenever you swallow due to pressure effect in the tube.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers you?

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : Can this inflammation in ears gland and head pressure headache be caused by a brain tumour ?
Dr. Sohaib :

Brain tumor is extremely unlikely in your case (because of young age). Moreover, the symptoms due to brain tumor continue to get worse untreated, and do not improve (wax and wane).

Dr. Sohaib :

So no one would consider brain tumor here in your clinical scenario.

Dr. Sohaib :

Stay relaxed.

Dr. Sohaib :

And do not worry or panic un-necessarily. This is simply an infection/inflammation related pain, with some element of migraine/tension headache and will improve soon.

Dr. Sohaib :

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

JACUSTOMER-xfvt5bw3- : Thank you I worry all day and constantly google my symptoms , and panic when painkillers don't take the headaches away coz it's more a pressure , reason I worry is because I never have had any illness or anything like this at all , I wish this would go away ,
Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this goes away soon. And since the anxiety issues are significant, i will suggest you to get treatment for anxiety as well (if you are not taking any), this will help you a lot.

Dr. Sohaib :

Goodluck.

Dr. Sohaib :

Honestly, this does not sound anything serious to me.

Dr. Sohaib :

Kindest Regards.