Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I have a problem expressing emotion, 67 years old, possible

I have a problem expressing emotion, 67 years old, possible aspergers? Can psychiatry help. Or psychology
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer

How long have you had this problem?

Has something changed recently in your life?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Probably most of my life.
Hovever it affects my relationship with my wife and after 20 years of marriage she now finds it almost impossible to cope with my apparent lack of affection. She finds it easy to express my feelings while I bottle them up. I appreciate it's down to me to change but need help to do so. My mother suffered from clinical depression having had a stillborn child after me. I don't know if that had something to do with my difficulty. I also went to boarding school from 8 to 18. I wonder if it's bi-pol ar, aspergers or some form of autism. Hope this helps.
That additional information is helpful.

I do believe that your best approach would be to see a pyschologist or psychiatrist about this problem. There are a number of possible causes or explanations. It is unfortunately beyond the scope of this type of forum to make a formal diagnosis or treatment recommendations.

As this has been a long-term issue, you should not expect dramatic and immediate resolution of a behavior pattern. With treatment (likely including counseling), you may very well have significant improvement in your ability to relate and deal with emotion.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A psychiatrist or psychologist, which is more appropriate? There, is a local psychologist who has been trained in psychiatry, would that be O.K? Thank you for your help?
Generally, I prefer to send my patients to pyschologists first, since they are trained in counseling rather than the medical approach to problems. This is an excellent place to start.