DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello,My son suffers form vernal conjunctivitis and has a

Customer Question

My son suffers form vernal conjunctivitis and has a treatment all year round. At the beginning of the treatment, the consultant had to try various steroid drops as most of them increased the pressure on his eyes dangerously. During the winter, we use Alomide, Opatanol and Celluvisc with FML in the autumn and this was fine. Then consultant advised to drop FML in winter, this was fine. Since last month, condition has flared up dramatically and we tried FML again in addition of all other drops but it was stinging his eyes and he couldn't continue. Consultant then gave the 3 usual drops with Ciclosporin and Emadine. This does not seem to be terribly successful and Ciclosporin stings his eyes too. We are seeing consultant again next week but, I would really love a second opinion. Also, he is on Cetirizin all year round.
Would you also be able to tell me if there is a specialist of this condition in the UK?
Many thanks for your time. Regards
V.Rennison
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
The specialty if opthalmology.
Is he seeing an opthalmologist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes he is.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
And has there been any scarring?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes unfortunately
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
In this case the treatment needs to be aggressive and it needs to be year round.

I would agree that it is time to pull out the big guns as has been done recently.

I would also not hesitate to have him see another leading opthamologist, simply for a second opinion.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks this is what we are doing already. He has been under treatment, having started with an aggressive treatment. Treatment has been ongoing for over a year now and is all year round. Do you know if there is a specialist of this condition in the UK?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Opthalmology
I think what you are asking is if there is someone also with a research interest that really studies this.

So this is not advertised and your question really is how to find this out.

I would ask here.

http://www.rcophth.ac.uk/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

£42.00 for just giving me an e-mail address !!!!! Ouch!!! I thin my request was clear from the beginning and you haven't really told me anything I didn't know already. Rip off comes to mind! And please don't answer this as I don't want to pay another £42.00. I am not amused!

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
You do not pay can for an answer.
In fact I answered the inisital question.
The other address was an additional suggestion that you did not ask for...my idea was that you find a sub-specialist..which we can not do for you.

This is a question and answer service.

I will be glad to answer any question that has not been answered.