DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Last week my left side went tingly, it started under my eye

Last week my left side went tingly, it started under my eye and spread down my face including in my ear, my teeth and my tongue. I have also had tingling in on the right side but not as bad. I have also had several occasions where I have woken up in the middle of the night and my arms and/or legs have been completely numb. The main part of my body i notice the tingling is on the top of my head on the left hand side. Looked on the internet but all of the answers are both worrying and confusing me. Any answers would b greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
Did you have any other symptopms with the tingling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it has just been the tingling

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
This can be for many reasons.

Sometimes it is from neuropathy, which an be autoimmune.

Sometimes it can be an early sign of diseases such as MS, but rarely.

Somtimes spinal disease.

Stroke would be only on one side.

Unknown causes.

B vitamin deficiencies.

Diabetes.

Sometimes other illnesses.

You need so see an internal medicine doctor, we cover all of these symptoms, and an internist will have a diagnosis within one our two visits after labs are done.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had my blood tested and there wasn't any deficiencies. For any of the other causes should there be other symptoms I should be looking out for? Im concerned i may have some but may not be seeing them as symptoms?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hi again Kerry.

There is no way you have had all of the above testing.

Routine labs do not cover this situation.

For example, it can be heavy metals.
That is urine or hair analysis initially.

MS needs an MRI of the brain for diagnosis..there is no blood test.

B vitamin levels are not normally tested, they are special order.

Autoimmune disease needs a sed rate and ana panel, also not part of regular blood tests.

So you need a doctor that is going to investigate all of these areas, or else we are just making guesses.

Anxiety disorders are a big cause of this symptom but you are not giving me a diagnosis of this by your history.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had depression and an anxiety disorder 4 years ago whilst I was at university? Also, I have no idea what they tested me for but the blood was taken and tested in regard to the same symptoms? Would anxiety cause the wakening up in the middle of the night with numb legs and arms. I am also a smoker if that is relevant. I initially thought it was my circulation?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Ok
Your blood tests would not have covered any where near enough.

Too young for circulation, unless you have an undiagnosed heart problem which is not likely.

Yes anxiety can wake you in the middle of the night. With symptoms.

So can spinal problems.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just one more question, just because MS seems to be cropping up a lot what other symptoms would there be? This is what is making me worry.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
MS does not typically present like this.
So it is quite unlikely.
However, you still need an exam to confirm that it is not in the picture.