Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

how to ease the cramping pains of diverticulitis

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to help you today.

There are certain important measures which can help control the symptoms of Diverticulitis including the pain;

Eat a diet rich in fibres (fruits, vegetables, peas and lentils).

Drink lot of water to keep the stools soft.

Daily exercise (that helps in bowel movements).

Honey water and green tea (have anti-inflammatory properties).

For more effective control of pain, following drugs are indicated;

• Tylenol/Paracetamol (available over the counter)
  • Other potent drugs like morphine or meperidine (prescription medications)

Also there are some alternative medicine options that can help you but the most useful amongst them are the Probiotics (foods or supplements that contain beneficial bacteria).

If despite all these measures, the pain does not improve or gets worse, you have to go to ER for urgent evaluation and in-hospital management.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.