Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

As before. recently I have noticed dark spots in my stools

As before. recently I have noticed dark spots in my stools also my usual bowel habits have become more irregular. I do occasionally get minor pain on the right side of my abdomen
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal

Thanks for this excellent question

I'm very sorry about this problem

I need to ask further questions in order to gather information and provide you with the best answer possible.

1)how old are you?

2)have you ever had a colonoscopy?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Age 84. Not had a colonoscopy

Thank you Ray.

At age 84, I would be mainly worried about one thing but there are some other possibilities

1)diverticulitis. This is an infection of pockets in the colon. The infection cause cause pain (usually on the left but not always) and irregular bowel movements.

So the symptoms fit here.

That needs to be checked with a CAT scan of the belly

Other possibilities include

2)colon cancer-this needs checked as well

3)appendicitis

4)bowel obstruction

5)medication side effect

The best course of action for you is to go to the hospital and have a CAT scan of the belly done. this will likely elucidate the cause of this problem

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Doctor I can imagine the one thing that you would be mainly worried about.,but thank you for being so circumspect. I'm of to see my GP asap' regards' Ray

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Doctor I can imagine what thing you could be worried about,but thank you for being so circumspect.I'm off to see my Gp asap Regards Ray

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)