Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Dear Doctor, In short, I am a 46 year old fit and healthy

Dear Doctor,

In short, I am a 46 year old fit and healthy man. Ten years ago I became a party raver and took the drug ecstacy nearly every weekend. . After two years of being clean from any drugs, I seeked medical attention for feeling unmotivated with life and was diagnosed with depression.

I was prescribed with 75mg of Venlafaxine hydrochloride and after 3years of taking this medication I felt less emotional and life seemed more bearable. It is now seven years since I have been clean from drugs and three years that I have been taking the mentioned anti depressant.

I remain concerned because I still dont feel the energy to live, and my dreams are just a major mission to accomplish.

I am always tense and have a quick temper with anyone who makes me upset. I dont get physical but can be very ugly with my verbal attacks. I then regret my actions and struggle with thoughts of self pity.

Its seems that marijuana helps me to concentrate and I recently noted that whilst practising my piano playing under the influence of marijuana, I play smoothly. However, when I am sober, not only do I lose the patience or concentration to practise piano, I give up and quickly rush off to buy some more marijuana to be able to concentrate on my hobby.

My questions are: Am I taking the right medication?
Is this anxiety related?
What can I do or take to start feeling positive, energetic and motivated to achieve my goals?

I thank you for your assistance.

Nelson
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

you could have an adult version of attention deficit disorder.

Dr. David :

you seem to be self medicating yourself with marijuana.

Dr. David :

you might need to talk to your doctor about medications for adult attention deficit disorder to help your concentration and patience.

Dr. David :

there are medications like Ritalin and Adderall which are used for adult attention deficit disorder which might help you.

Dr. David :

but you have to see a psychiatrist or doctor first to get evaluated and diagnosed first.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

Thank you because I self diagnosed myself on the net with regards XXXXX XXXXX deficit disorder by answering questions and it shows that I could have what you have just told me. Yet, my doctor is against me taking Ritalin. So I will visit a psychiatrist for help.

Dr. David :

that is a good idea

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer:

One last question. After taking Ritalin for eg, how long should I wait to see or feel results.

Dr. David :

ritalin works very quickly

Dr. David :

if you indeed have adult attention deficit disorder, you will see better focus and improvement in your attention very quickly once you start ritalin.

Dr. David :

usually in a day or two.

Customer:

Thankyou very much. Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down below to see the feedback area.