Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478
Medical

I have a prescription for Co-phenotrope but it is unavailable

and so is Lomotil. Are... Show More
and so is Lomotil. Are there any alternatives, in tablet form?
Show Less
replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Lomotil tablets contain two active ingredients, diphenoxylate hydrochloride and atropine sulphate. This combination is known as co-phenotrope. Co-phenotrope tablets are also available without a brand name as the generic medicine.

If the combination pill is unavailable, you may be able to get the two separately. The doses are 2.5 and 0.025 mg respectively. Its more likely to get the generic of co phenotrope.

Other antidiarrhea medications that are alternatives for ibs include loperamide which is Immodium but I see you cannot get that. Pepto bismol which is otc may be useful for short term use.

You can also try an online medication service. I hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

This is the advice I've been given by my doctor. Unfortunately Immodium has no no effect so we have settled on the Kaolin/Morphine mixture which is liquid and is far quicker acting for me, but as it is liquid it is not that easy to carry around. Never mind I was hopping that I could obtain Co-phenetrope from another country other than the UK. Thanks.

Dr. K., Board Certified MD replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry. You cannot obtain co-phenotrope from another country due to the diphenoxylate hydrochloride. It is not legal. Sorry I could not be of more help to you but the answer you are seeking is not available.