Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I was diagnosed with Thrombophlebitis on 14/05 and this led

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with Thrombophlebitis on 14/05 and this led to an emergency admission at the local hospital (because of my family history I'm high risk for DVT) for 24 hr IV antibiotics. During my stay I was sent for a scan and this is what is printed on my discharge letter:USS doppler showed no above knee DVT and phasic flow in the CFV. There was thrombus along the length of long saphenous vein on the right side. I have had Varicose Veins in my right leg for the best part of 20yrs and up until now they have never given me any problems, they didn't even make my legs ache, just made my legs lumpy!! The hospital discharged me on 5 days oral antibiotics. On the saturday because the swelling was travelling at speed up towards my groin I went back to A and E was assessed and was told I could go home, on the Monday I saw my own GP who said that the swelling was improving so go home. On Thursday this week again for no apparent reason the swelling was moving from the original site, down the back of my leg towards my knee. I was once again sent to CDU and once again sent home. I am so frightened as obviously I am aware of how dangerous a DVT can be, but I keep being seen by different people at the hospital. My original DDimer was 3237, and I was told that the whole thing was superficial, but what I don't know what to look out for is if it changes from superficial to Deep......at present I appear to have a constant ache in my groin crease......I don't want to go back up to the hospital and I will definitely be contacting my GP tomorrow (I'm a Lollipop Lady so I walk nearly 3 miles a day without going anywhere, and I also don't own a car therefore I also tend to walk everywhere) The swelling started spontaneously at the inside top of my thigh about 10cm from my groin crease and followed my vein to the outside of my thigh the antibiotics did stop this but then it flared up again from the outside edge down towards my knee on the back of my leg, I now have a swelling (which is reducing) on the back of my leg just above my knee. Can you just tell me what I need to look out for? What the DDimer actually means? and whether I need to panic or not? Thank You.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

superficial thrombophlebitis in the saphenous vein will not turn into a deep venous thrombosis because the veins don't go that way.

Dr. David :

you have a chance of developing a new DVT since you have a history of supervicial thrombophlebitis and family history

Dr. David :

you should talk to your doctors and see if you would benefit from taking aspirin as a blood thinner.

Dr. David :

signs of DVT in your legs and calf would be continued swelling and pain in one of the legs.

Dr. David :

you might need to use some warm compresses or hot towels on the area of thrombophlebitis along with the antibiotics.

JACUSTOMER-36rv71bq- :

I'm confused can't see any response????

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

can you see my typing here?

Dr. David :

can you see this?

JACUSTOMER-36rv71bq- :

I can see absolutely nothing, so this is going nowhere fast.

Dr. David :

how about this

Dr. David :

can you read this?

Dr. David :

I will change to chat mode.

Dr. David :

hello

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-36rv71bq- :

I have a blank window, i can see where I'm typing but i can't see anything from you at all, I know you're typing as the computers telling me but if I can't see what your saying this is next to useless.

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll up

Dr. David :

above the blank window area are my words I am typing to you

JACUSTOMER-36rv71bq- :

This is ridiculous I can't see a response anywhere

Dr. David :

do you have a scroll bar to your right.

Dr. David :

do you have a scroll bar to your right side?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
how about now?

can you see what I am typing now?

sorry you are having computer problems.