DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have just received the results of an MRI of my right knee.

Customer Question

I have just received the results of an MRI of my right knee. The Consultation Note states that I have a horizontal tear of the posterior horn medial meniscus with a torn posterior root ligament. Complete loss of the medial compartment. Subarticular contusion of the medial femoral condyle. A large knee joint effusion.

What type of treatment should I expect? Will I be able to run long distances after the treatment? I am currently 60 years old but very active for my age.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
What happened here
What is your history?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am an active long distance runner. Before my symptoms I would typically run 40 to 50 miles weekly.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Please list the symptoms
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

swollen and painful right knee particularly at the back of the knee. Please read the Consultation Note above.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a summary of the MRI report that you can type in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
The first line here is going to be drainage of the fluid and physical therapy.

Let me just clarify, this was not an acute injury, is that correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Correct.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
Drainage of the fluid.
Physical therapy, intensive.

If not improved and healing well in 6 yo 12 weeks more than likely arthroscoping surgery to clean up the meniscus.

Some additional therapy after that.

I can not caculate your prognosis exactly, it depends if there is an underhying conditioin causing this, but I am not seeing that on the report.