Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

hi I have a condition called tourettes syndrome im 32 years

Customer Question

hi I have a condition called tourettes syndrome im 32 years old and im currently taking orap 4 mg once daily wwith 3 yrs now. is it possible that your body adapts to the drug that it feels it has no effect on me anymore? ronan
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me what makes you think the drug is getting less effective for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my tics and and vocal tics have worsened in the last few weeks.. this has happened before using previous meds

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--just for clarification what medications were tried before?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question Ronan

Yes, you are very smart to suggest this. You have come across a well known phenomenon known as tolerance. Many drugs cause this. Especially drugs that are psychoactive like anti depressants or anti psychotics.

I think it is very likely that you have become tolerant to this medication.

You have a couple options.

1)you could try another medication and if you give me a list of what you have tried, I can help you find another med that might help.

2)consider something more invasive like deep brain stimulation.

This is being used more and more for tourette’s over time.

Here's an article about it

http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/76/7/992

It is usually reserved for cases like your where many meds have been tried unsuccessfully

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I appreciate the other expert's giving you an opinion here but I think more discussion is needed first. I'd like to know what's been tried before and I also need to ask about the tics--can you describe those for me please?