DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi I got bad cold or flu like symptoms 12 days ago. I still

Hi I got bad cold or flu like symptoms 12 days ago. I still got a slight post nasal drip ears are unblocked now so nearly all good. Issue is chest when I breathe out hard is still wheezy and has been for 10 days. When I breathe out hard I need to cough then it's clear for a minute or so. I cough nothing up. I did take amoxicillin should I been on more effective anti biotics or is it viral. Apart from wheezy chest I feel fine.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
You need an exam.
If indicated by exam, a chest x ray.
Younger people can carry pneumonia around and then suddenly you might have an emergency.

Otherwise it can be bronchospasm from the illness without infection and you need inhalers for a while.
Amoxicillin is not an effective antibiotic to cover pneumonia.

So I would get this checked.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did go to doctor 8 days ago and he wasn't concerned. Said to use inhaler but hasn't really helped at all. It was a government doctor but he seemed thorough. How would u know about pneumonia if you had it?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
chest x ray.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And bronco spasm is this from colds or flus. I thought pneumonia is bad and u would know if you had it
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Pneumonia is sometimes something you walk around with
Bronchospasm is spasm of the tubes in the lungs...after any illness of the lungs.
please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How long does bronco spasm last for then? Would augumentin anti biotics cure that
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Antibiotics only cure it if there is pneumonia.

It can last weeks, even with treatment with inhalers.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok can I return to exercise ie gym weights and running. Would other anti biotics help or no good. Does exercise slow healing or no difference
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
These questions can not be answered without examining you.
If it is not pneumonia, antibiotics don't help.
You should not be exercising until the broncospasm /wheezing, is gone.