Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Finasteride 5mg Tablets for enlarged prostrate. Just started

Finasteride 5mg Tablets for enlarged prostrate.
Just started taking them as prostrate enlarged.
Been informed that i should continue yo take as will take at least 6 months for the size to reduce.
My priority is to ensure in about 9 months time that i can make my new wife pregnant.-crucial
I can already see some side effects on my libido.
How long before i plan to start "making wife pregnant " should i stop taking these tablets.+ how long after she is pregnant before i should start again taking them.
I am aware of the serious side effects if any fluids while taking the pills are passed to pregnant person.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--the finesteride will not reduce your sperm count or affect the sperm's virility and fertilization potential. That said, if you're concerned about the drug being passed to your wife, that would be very unlikely as a risk factor but it would be out of your system a week after stopping it. Once she was pregnant, you shouldn't restart the medication until she is passed her first trimester