Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

blue staining on male in-dwelling catheter bag

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Blue staining of the catheter bag is due to the formation of the indigorubin, a blue colored pigment.

Mysticdoc :

Tryptophan, an amino acid is changed to a compound in the intestine by the intestinal flora.

Mysticdoc :

This is then absorbed and then conjugated with the bilirubin in the liver.

Mysticdoc :

Once the compound ( indoxyl sulfate) is excreted via urine, this is acted on by the bacteria present in the catheter bag ( enterobactor, providencia, klebsiella).

Mysticdoc :

Hence, this is a benign condition if there is no symptoms like burning or pain during urination, fever.

Mysticdoc :

No treatment is necessary unless there are signs of urinary tract infection.

Mysticdoc :

Protein in the urine is likely due to the underlying kidney disease.

Mysticdoc :

This can b checked by the blood and urine tests.

Mysticdoc :

We also call it Purple urine bag syndrome.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Mysticdoc : Blue staining of the catheter bag is due to the formation of the indigorubin, a blue colored pigment.
Mysticdoc : Tryptophan, an amino acid is changed to a compound in the intestine by the intestinal flora.
Mysticdoc : This is then absorbed and then conjugated with the bilirubin in the liver.
Mysticdoc : Once the compound ( indoxyl sulfate) is excreted via urine, this is acted on by the bacteria present in the catheter bag ( enterobactor, providencia, klebsiella).
Mysticdoc : Hence, this is a benign condition if there is no symptoms like burning or pain during urination, fever.
Mysticdoc : No treatment is necessary unless there are signs of urinary tract infection.
Mysticdoc : Protein in the urine is likely due to the underlying kidney disease.
Mysticdoc : This can b checked by the blood and urine tests.
Mysticdoc : We also call it Purple urine bag syndrome.
Mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile: