Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hi. i had the mirena coil fitted 5 yrs ago. its to be taken

Customer Question

hi. i had the mirena coil fitted 5 yrs ago. its to be taken out this aug.can i leave it in for longer. i am 54 yrs old.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The recommendation for the use of Mirena is that it must be removed at 5 years. However, it is true that the contraceptive properties of the Mirena does not suddenly stop at 5 years, like turning off a light. And there is some evidence that the Mirena may continue to provide contraception for as much as a year or two.

The problem, though, is that the exact time at which it will have decreased effectiveness cannot be definitely stated for an individual. Therefore, doctors will typically follow the above recommendation, as it is not generally desireable to discover that it is not as effective by a pregnancy.

If you were my family member, I would recommend that it be removed.