Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I have received my blood tests today for lupus investigations

Customer Question

I have received my blood tests today for lupus investigations which has come back positive for lupus anticoagulant. I have been getting symptoms of dizziness, numbness, cold feeling in parts of my body, loss of balance, migraines since my body seized a over a month ago.

What does my results mean? Is this a serious condition? Can it be treated? How? Can it stop the condition getting worse. I am seeing a rheumatologist just over a wk.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--do you have any specific medical conditions and do you take any medications? Did you have other blood work for autoimmune disorders like antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, sed rate and C-reactive protein?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been getting nights sweats for 4/5 mths before my body seized and had viral infection a week before which I had come down with a stomach bug.

I had a test for antinuclear antibody which came back positive (homogenous pattern) associated with SLE, Autoimmune Chronic Hepatitis, occasional other connective tissue diseases. From these results I was asked to do a lupus test which came back positive for Lupus anticoagulant.

I have occasionally had muscle and joint pain and have been seeing white flashes whilst my eyes are closed.

I did also injure myself 3 mths ago and fell on my iron and bruised the right hand side of the ribs areas and back.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. The lupus anticoagulant, by itself, if found on a blood test is considered relatively nonspecific--not indicative necessarily of lupus and not usually requiring any treatment. It can occur with certain medications. That said, with the positive ANA, it is very likely that you do have lupus. As for treatment for that, it can include NSAID antiinflammatories, prednisone, Plaquenil, Cytoxan and Cellcept. The rheumatologist may still want to run other more specific tests to determine the diagnosis but I think there is every reason to believe you do have lupus
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can it be treated? Can I lead a normal without having to face my symptoms I am experiencing?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Yes it can be treated successfully and you can lead a normal life with treatment