Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Can you take valerian tablets if you have epilepsy?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

There is no study or clinical trial to prove any adverse effect of use of Valerian tablets in epilepsy since they are themselves CNS depressing agents that induce sleep and are indicated insomina. CNS stimulants are contraindicated for use in epilepsy as they can aggravate or induce seizures.
As a matter of fact, Valerian tablets were one of the first drugs to be used as a treatment of Epilepsy and seizures.
They should however be used in the proper dosage and carefully if the patient is taking a heavy dose of Epilepsy drugs. So, you should discuss this with the prescribing physician so that it is in their knowledge and the dose is adjusted carefully.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating if you are satisfied.
If you have more questions or queries then please reply here.
Best.
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 4 years ago.
I have some additional information.
While historical evidence suggests that valerian root may have been one of the first medications used for epilepsy, current evidence suggests that there is little to no information showing its benefit

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/870.html

Further, as with other dietary supplements, it is not regulated nor tested by the FDA. So it is not tested for interactions with other medications nor for the quality in manufacturing.
It would NOT be a good idea to take this medication for epilepsy and there are no blood tests to evaluate whether or not you are therapeutic on this drug.

Please reply if you need clarification.
Positive feedback is appreciated if this was helpful :-)