DrHearne
DrHearne, Doctor
Experience:  With over five years of experience, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I have got a prescription of Primolut N (Norethisterone) so

Customer Question

I have got a prescription of Primolut N (Norethisterone) so I could delay my period while going on holiday.
The instructions are top commence treatment 3 days before your period is due. My period is due tomorrow and today I have had the preliminary spotting that I always get a day before I start bleeding.
Can I still start taking Primolut N or will it not be effective now?
Expert:  DrHearne replied 4 years ago.

DrHearne :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

DrHearne :

You can go ahead and start your Primolut now, but usually it is too late once the bleeding begins.

DrHearne :

I would recommend you try calling your doctor and asking for traditional birth control. These will contain estrogen and progesterone (Primolut is progesterone only). The increase in estrogen will help turn your period off. Whereas the progesterone will help prevent it from starting, but once it starts it's usually too late.

DrHearne :

I wish you the best. If you have no further questions, please rate my answer. Thank you.