Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was dignosed to have an eye infection and was given "Nezefib"

Customer Question

I was dignosed to have an eye infection and was given "Nezefib" eye drops. It contains Dexamethasone sodium phospate 1mg/ml and Chloramphenicol 5mg/ml. I don't see eny improvement after 4 days of administration of these drops. Since it is cortizon I am very much concern if this drops actually, make my situation worse.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.
It will help if you could provide some additional information:
What type of infection was diagnosed?
Was it diagnosed as conjunctivitis?
What symptoms are you having?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have photosensitivity and kind of each or burning feeling, I cannot go outside without sun glasses and cannot read or work on computer normal working hours. I also noticed the tickening of the upper eylid on onr eye and my eye lashes are missing at that spot.

The oftalmologist told me that it is just infection not specifaying of what kind. No laboratory test was done.He told me if there will be no improvement in 10 days he will change the tretment. I cannot wait ten days under this circumstances, I am not better and it starts to be a serious trouble for me. I have this condition for last 3 months.

Thank you for the additional information.

The pros and cons of using steroid eye drops (either alone or in combination with antibiotics) would depend upon the type of infection that is present. Steroid eye drips are generally avoided in cases of bacterial conjunctivitis and herpetic infections, as the infections may get significantly worse, but may still be considered in cases with significant inflammation. Steroid eye drops are more often used in cases of more severe viral conjunctivitis, as it can provide a significant relief of symptoms, although it also can prolong the period of shedding of the virus. Steroid eye drops are also one of the treatments for allergic conjunctivitis, although usually not in combination with an antibiotic.

Without knowing what type of infection is present, it is difficult to say what options are available to you. If it is a bacterial conjunctivitis, then changing to a different antibiotic eye drop without the steroid would be an option. If it is a viral conjunctivitis, there is no direct treatment for the virus (as with other common viral infections), although it is possible to develop a secondary bacterial infection that may benefit from antibiotics. The determination of which type of infection is present can usually be accomplished by a detailed Ophthalmologist examination; it usually does not require blood work.

If you are having intolerable symptoms and no improvement from the Nezefib, then it would be appropriate to consider alternative treatment, according to which type of infection is present. But it would be necessary to discuss this with the physician that already knows what type of infection is present or see a different physician.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.