Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Ok, 2 months ago i got extremely ill whilst at the beach and

Customer Question

Ok, 2 months ago i got extremely ill whilst at the beach and came down with a sore throat that was so painfull i had to go to the emergency room, I had 2 large swollen glands of around 32mm and 25mm either side of my neck with extremely swollen tonsils. my blood tests at the time showed high white blood cells and not much else. they put me on antibiotics the pain went but the glands and tonsils were still large. two weeks later i had a blood test to check my cells and this time to check for mono and cells came back normal and mono was negative. Today i had another blood test and red blood cells came back at 5.6 which is .2 higher than my last one but could be down to many things eg i smoke and i am type1 diabetic. Also on the blood test my epstein barr Igg came back positive 0.32 but epstein barr Igm came back negative. I also had an ultrasound today which showed my glands to be 30mm and 25mm so not really shrunk at all in 2 months. THe doctor then put something in my mouth and showed me on screen that my right tonsil had shrunk a bit but the left one was still extremely swollen. This week i have been getting really tired however this could be due to anxiety. All the doctors keep telling me to wait 2 months, but im so worried about lymphoma and other cancers liker tonsil cancer. I no it is not normal to have glands this big that are painless. They are tender and they do move about.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I would help you today.

Was biopsy done?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi there has been no biopsy as both ent specialists i have seen have not asked for one. They seem to feel that as the lymph nodes are not growing since i got ill that it is just normal and that my diabetes is playing a part in why it takes a long time for me to clear these infections

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

With enlarged tonsils and at your age I would too think of infection as my first bet. However considering the months you have these nodes a biopsy should be obtained. It will rule out lymphoma. I would also get throat swab to look for causative organism and also to see for sensitivity of particular antibiotic to the organism.

You may request your doctor for biopsy. It would calm you for sure.

Best
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for your help, how long does it take for a biopsy result. Also is it possible to get a fine needle biopsy as well or do i need to get the whole lymph node removed

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi can i get a fine needle biopsy or do i need the whole node removed

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

FNAC is fine. No need to remove the node.

Best