Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

pain up left side of my neck when I walk ,I walk for 2 hours

Customer Question

pain up left side of my neck when I walk ,I walk for 2 hours ,dont have to stop walking to relieve the pain ,it goes away itself after a few minutes , dont get the pain back again untill I start my walk the following day.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I am Dr ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have any swelling at the region of pain? Are there associated symptoms like numbness or tingling at the left upper limb? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no swelling, no numbness or tingling in upper limb and I have no other diagnosed condition

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Hello Pamela,

I am happy that there are no associated symptoms.

Neck is a complex region of the body. There is cervical spine with overlying muscles/ nerves/ vessels/ glands and nodes. There is airway and food pipe too in front of the spine. Abnormality at any of these can present with pain.

The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertebral discs {soft tissue cushion if I may say}. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal {formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around}. Any bone spur or bulge of the disc causes pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too. In your case as pain is intermittent and starts while walking makes me think of irritation of the nerve at the spine level as my first bet. When you walk the cervical spine might be getting mild jerks causing mildly narrowed neural foraminae to narrow more - leading to pain.

Other possibility of muscle spasm also needs to be looked for.

Few investigations like x ray for cervical spine followed by MRI if needed later/ ultrasound for neck would give us more answers.

Till than - warm compress, Motrin should relieve pain and discomfort. Avoid activities which increases the pain/ Rest intermittently/ Pushing and pulling should be avoided / Avoid prolonged sitting and standing or working for long on the computer/ Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor.

Wish you well.

Best