Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

When I go to the toilet my water is very dark red and has been

Customer Question

When I go to the toilet my water is very dark red and has been like this for over a week. I did go to a GP and he felt my kidneys and liver and said he thought it was a liver problem and prescribed me some antibiotics called Ciprofloxacin 500 mg and told me one twice per day. Four days have gone and no improvement. I do already have hereditory cysts in my Kidneys and was given norfloxacino which seem to work with my kidneys. At the moment I am very tired all of the time and my hands and feet are cold. Should I wait longer or do I need go to hospital?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Did your doctor also check the urine (a urinalysis)?
Is the tiredness and coldness getting worse?
Or is it just not getting better?

I had asked for some additional information, but have not heard back, so will provide an answer with what information is available.

I asked about whether a urinalysis was done because a urinalysis will be effective at differentiating the dark urine that is associated with liver disease (from bilirubin metabolites) vs from kidney disease (from blood).

If there is liver disease, then the proper treatment would depend upon the underlying type of liver disease that is present. Certain problems may response to antibiotics, such as the ciprofloxacin, the most common being an infection of the gallbladder that is secondarily affecting the liver. However, there are other problems of the liver that would not be expected to respond to antibiotics, such as from a viral infection of the liver or from non-infectious inflammation of the liver.

Since you are not getting better, it would be appropriate to be seen. Whether it is necessary to be seen immediately at the hospital or it can wait until your doctor's office opens would depend upon the nature and severity of symptoms. If it is that the symptoms are simply not getting better, then it usually can wait until the doctor's office opens. However, if the symptoms are getting worse, particularly if the symptoms are more severe, then it would be appropriate to be seen more quickly.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for not answering your question earlier. The tiredness and cold hands and feet is getting worse/

As noted above, if the symptoms are getting worse, particularly if the symptoms are more severe, then it would be appropriate to be seen more quickly. This would include the tiredness and the coldness.