jbmd
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience
69164063

I have a son of 43 suffers from cerebral palsey also depression

Customer Question

I have a son of 43 suffers from cerebral palsey also depression he has seen a psychiatrist who said he was spoilt unfortunately he gets very frustrated and verbal aggressive his social worker is always unavailable no body seems to listen since the label of being spoilt has been put on him
Can you tell me where I can get help for him one day he is up the next he is down paranoid frustrated and no one is listening, he is a recovering alcoholic 4 years sober which he done his self apart from aa
Expert:  jbmd replied 4 years ago.

jbmd :

I'm sorry you have these worries. Cerebral palsy is a very difficult to treat condition and it's totally understandable that someone with it would be depressed.

jbmd :

"Spoiled" is not a helpful thing for a psychiatrist to say

jbmd :

My expression of this to a patient/family would be, "Here's how we can work together to give him more independence."

jbmd :

"More independence would give him more self-esteem, which would lead to his moods stabilizing and a better interaction with everyone in his world."

jbmd :

I assume your son is in physical therapy constantly. For a cerebral palsy patient, physical therapy is crucial and it's crucial it be on-going.

jbmd :

He is obviously a strong person as he has overcome alcoholism on his own.

jbmd :

In this country, the new treatment for CP is to use biofeedback. Have you heard of that? It is NOT a drug therapy?

JACUSTOMER-g7445bow- :

Yes he is strong but in many other ways he is week

jbmd :

Of course has weaknesses as he has had to be dependent.

JACUSTOMER-g7445bow- :

No I have not heard of bio feed back also he has no physical therapy

jbmd :

Well, help him demand it--most people of 43 have aches and pains. The disabilities of cp lead to more aches and pains than normal, of course.

jbmd :

Here is a reference for biofeedback in general for England (if that is where you are) http://www.stmarkshospital.org.uk/biofeedback

jbmd :

I haven't read it through to see if cp is listed.

jbmd :

Just looked it up for you

JACUSTOMER-g7445bow- :

I have tried to talk to his social worker and so has Robbie but she is always unavailable who else can I talk to. His doctor who was very supportive has retired who do I turn to?

jbmd :

sorry that was bowel oriented. try again: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cerebral-palsy/Pages/Treatment.aspx

jbmd :

You need to be his advocate and have him be his own advocate through the NHS.

jbmd :

Need a new doctor--if you can reach the old, ask him for a personal referral to a new decent guy

JACUSTOMER-g7445bow- :

He asked his social worker if he could have an advocate they refused

jbmd :

I practice in the US but I can tell that only VERY squeaky wheels in GB get anything but good urgent care

jbmd :

You can be his advocate to him and have him be his own advocate.

jbmd :

Contact the people at the reference I sent you and discuss

jbmd :

Why did you rate poor service? I gave you new options to improve things for him. I cannot control the physicians and social workers there!