Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

my husband has a bulging left eye he has had thyroid blood

Customer Question

my husband has a bulging left eye he has had thyroid blood test and ct scan we are waiting for the results which we should get thursday of next week we go on holiday to florida 2 days later but we are worried about wether the cabin preasure will affect him what do you tthink?
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Excellent question you have asked Lisa.

Actually, whether or not he should take the flight depends upon the diagnosis (underlying disease responsible for the swelling of the eye).

In general, he should have examination of back of eye done, in addition to the CT scan report and thyroid tests to make sure there is no increase in intracranial pressure (which is expected to be high if the bulging of eye is due to tumor).

He can have some side effects due to flight and pressure changes such as he would probably be experiencing headaches and perhaps nausea although some people may not have any symptoms.

Havind raised intracranial pressure can lead to intracranial bleed, which can be serious, so it would be still best for him to clear his flight with the surgeon (in case of tumor).

With out approval from the treating doctor, he should not take the flight.

Right now, he should wait for the CT scan results, and in case this turns out to be some thing sinister (like a tumor), he would require a complete check up (pulse, bp check up, examination of eye) with out which he should not take any flight.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards