DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, My son (Sonny) is 19 mths and started walking at 15mths.

Customer Question

My son (Sonny) is 19 mths and started walking at 15mths. Sonny is about the size of a 3-4 yrs. My partner and I have been told that he is well proportioned and his weight and height match perfectly. When Sonny started walking he was unbalanced and unsteady which I understand is normal but after a while we took him to the Doctors whom referred us to a number of specialists. The out was that he now wears corrective shoe and some days he seems to progress and other he seem's to digress. I took Sonny to see a gentleman who makes the shoes yesterday who explained that Sonny's ankle ligaments are weak and the shoes would help him walk straight. He also said the Sonny's ligaments may get stronger but may not and the shoes job was to help his walking until the ankles have chance to strengthen. If my son's ankle ligaments don't strengthen what do I need to do next or what is the answer to helping him.

Eddie
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

I would suggest you start with a good osteopath, or a good non-invasive orthopedist for physical therapy assessment.

Particularly in cranial osteopathy, the early the practitioner gets the child the better.

This gives the optimal chance of the ligements functioning as fully as they can.

It also appears that you do not have a specific diagnosis for this problem, which the osteopath will help you with once the exam is done.

Or the non-invasive orthopedist.

You might seek a practitioner list from this organization.
http://www.bso.ac.uk/

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.