Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

do i have to make myself breathe and how can i stop worrying

Customer Question

do i have to make myself breathe and how can i stop worrying about it i cant lead anormal life until i know is it a automatic system
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question:

How long have you had this concern/anxiety about your breathing?

Are you taking any medications?

Any recent changes in your life or medical condition?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no i just tink abou t breathing if i have to do it myself i just need an expert advice

NO - breathing is an automatic function.

Except in certain serious medical conditions such as drug overdose, severe head injury, severe stroke or other conditions that cause damage to the parts of the brainstem that are involved in the regulation of breathing, this is a completely automatic function. Your body automatically regulates breathing (increasing and decreasing the rate as needed) to carefully control the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood.

There is NO reason to be worried or concerned that you will stop breathing if you don't think about your breathing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for that advice i will not worry and try and lead a normal life

You're welcome. Please feel free to request me for any future question. You can put "For FamilyPhysician" in your question and I will be alerted to your request.

Have a nice day.